This recipe does NOT qualify as healthy but it does include a few organic ingredients. Sometimes you just can’t help yourself and have to eat comfort food.
- 4-6 slices bacon
- 5 Medium white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 Medium Sweet Onion, diced
- 4 Skinless, boneless chicken breasts (organic) – diced and seasoned with poultry seasoning.
- 3 Cups – Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 Tsp. Paul Prudhomme’s Magic Poultry Seasoning (to taste)
- Coarse Sea Salt and Fresh ground Black Peppercorns (to taste)
- 1 14-15 Oz. Can, Whole kernel corn, drained
- 3 Cups, Low Fat Half-and-Half
- 1 ½ Cups Bisquick
- 1 Cup Organic 2% Milk
- Place bacon in an extra large Cast Iron (CI) Skillet or 6 Qt. Dutch oven and cook until done (or microwave in advance and save grease). Crumble Bacon and set aside.
- Keep or put the bacon grease in the skillet and bring up to temperature.
- Add the diced potatoes, onion and chicken to the bacon grease and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently (it will cook slower in a Dutch oven due to smaller pan area). Note: If using a Dutch oven add a little EVOO to keep the chicken from sticking to the pan during simmering.
- Add the chicken broth, corn, more PP’s poultry seasoning, sea salt and fresh pepper.
- Pour in half-and-half and bring to a boil; add crumbled bacon.
- Biscuits: In a medium bowl, combine the Bisquick with milk and mix well (dough should be thick enough to ‘drop’).
- Drop tablespoon sizes of dough into boiling mixture; reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes uncovered. Cover the pan and simmer another10 minutes. Be careful NOT to stir while simmering, or dumplings will fall apart.